Present

Angie Higgs, Play Director

Marion Shaw, President

Drummond Macdougall, Past President

Gary Pena, Secretary 

George Sim, Maintenance Director

Janos Stiasny, Co Membership Director

Ron Carr, Co Membership Director (*Voting Director*)

June Barnes, Treasurer

Nancy Forrest, Vice-President (left the meeting at 8:15 p.m.)

Nancy French, Social Director

  1. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by Marion Shaw at 6:30 p.m.

  1. Confirmation of Quorum

         Quorum was confirmed.

1,2     Confirmation of Agenda

         Agenda was confirmed

  1. Approval of previous meeting minutes

         It was Moved and Seconded to approve the minutes of the Septermber 18, 2018 meeting as presented. 

  1. It was Moved and Seconded to approve Marion Shaw as President, Ron Carr as Membership Director, and Janos Stiasny as Co Membership Director

                                                                                                 CARRIED

  • Business Arising from the Previous Minutes

Agenda Items 2.1 – 2.6

The Business Arising items from the last meeting were reviewed.  An updated schedule is included at the end of these minutes.

  • New Business (after Director’s reports)
  • Purchase of a defribilator for the club.  Ron suggested that it could be a liability issue.  Agreed not to pursue.
    • Tennis BC Membership Options:. It was discussed that many of our Cap members don’t play competitive tennis and it was asked if we should continue to pay for GOLD Membership with Tennis BC.  We pay $22 per member for GOLD Membership versus $49 per member if we did not have GOLD Membership.  GOLD Membership cannot be attained for only those members who play competitive tennis.  It must be attained for the entire membership, or none at all.  It was determined that we should continue with the GOLD Membership, 
  • Director’s Reports
  • President – Marion Shaw – Marion advised that we do not have Directors Insurance and we should have it.  Explained that in case of litigation, the Directors will also be protected.  The club has a General Liability Insurance Policy for $2 Million. 
  • A contract has been entered into with IWS for website maintenance and support.
  • Details of the Junior Program for 2019 have now been uploaded onto the website and the NVRC ad will link directly to that page on the site from the online version.
  • After attending a meeting with Elaine Hasemore, Ron and Janos it was determined that the whole registration process is extremely labour intensive.  This will be improved once the e-commerce payment is on the website.
  • Having some ads on the website from our suppliers and contributors was discussed as a possible revenue stream for the club.  Google analytics is now added to the site enabling us to find out more information about visitors to the site.
  • All paperwork with reference to AGM and new directors has now been filed in accordance with the societies act.

4.2     Vice-President – Nancy Forrest – Nancy had distributed a written report to the Directors in advance of the meeting. The report advised that the Director’s job descriptions have been completed and distributed to corresponding individuals in the roles and their feedback has been received. From the feedback it was clear that there are gaps in service delivery and some roles are too big for one person. The following action items were proposed by Nancy:

  1. Determine what assistance is needed for each Board position.
  2. Develop a list of members with skills, knowledge and potential to help get the work done.
  3. Determine the best person to approach member(s) for their help.

4.3     Treasurer – June Barnes:  June’s Treasurer’s report included a variance report for the 1st quarter of the fiscal year,  June also opened a savings account at Blue Shore transferring in $35K and leaving approximately $8K to cover expenditures till March 2019

4.4     Social Director – Nancy French – Nancy talked about recycling bins and those are now installed.  40 people had registered for the Carol Sing Event.

4.5     Play Director – Angie Higgs – Angie spoke about the spring/summer youth camps.  Drummond asked about the coach that Angie mentioned.  Her name is Hana and she will run the camps and Howie will register the participants.  Hana will bring along coaches that she has coaches she has access to.  Her rate is $30 per hour.  Hana will report to both Howie and Angie.  Nancy Forrest mentioned the need for criminal record checks.  It is believed that background checks are a requirement for any Tennis BC Tennis Instructor

4.6     Maintenance Director – George provided the following report:

  • The Vet Hospital complained that water running off of their court was causing issues.  The solution was to install a cistern about 8 feet down so that water drains down and no more issues.
  • A club member has stepped forward and will take care of the weed whacking work needed around the perimeter of the courts.
  • Hydro will be off in the area next week and he is coordinating what is needed
  • A contract for a recycling program for paper, glass, plastic and containers has been signed with North Shore Recycling for weekly pick-up every Monday at a cost of $114.58 per year.
  • Lock has been installed on the bar fridge.

4.7     Membership Director – Ron Carr and Janos Stiasny.  Each were officially welcomed to the Board.   Both did an extensive spreadsheet outlining feedback provided to increase and sustain CTC Membership levels.

         Marion conducted an exercise where Board members outlined a list of priorities to achieve those goals

  • Other Business

Marion Shaw, Communications Committee Chair, had distributed a comprehensive written report to the Board prior to the meeting which was received with thanks.

  • Next Meeting (3rd Tuesday of every month)

Tuesday January 15 2019.

  • Meeting Termination

The meeting was terminated at 8.15 p.m.