CTC Board Meeting Minutes
Angie Higgs, Play Director
Drummond Macdougall, President
Gary Pena, Secretary (arrived at approx. 6:50 p.m.)
George Sim, Maintenance Director
Jeff Sparling, Past-President
June Barnes, Treasurer
Nancy Forrest, Vice-President (left the meeting at 8:15 p.m.)
Nancy French, Social Director
- Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Nancy Forrest at 6:30 p.m.
- Confirmation of Quorum
Quorum was confirmed.
- Approval of previous meeting minutes
It was Moved and Seconded to approve the minutes of the August 22, 2018 meeting as presented.
- Business Arising from the Previous Minutes
Agenda Items 2.1 – 2.6
The Business Arising items from the last meeting were reviewed. An updated schedule is included at the end of these minutes.
- New Business
- Nancy French suggested that the Board would benefit from refreshing themselves as to the content of Howie’s contract.
- It was proposed and agreed to make the next Board Meeting a planning meeting for 2018/19 season. The date was set for Monday, October 15, 2018.
- Director’s Reports
4.1 President – Drummond emphasized the need to encourage members to support the Board by volunteering their time for projects/initiatives.
4.2 Vice-President – Nancy Forrest had distributed a written report to the Directors in advance of the meeting. The report advised that the Director’s job descriptions have been completed and distributed to corresponding individuals in the roles and their feedback has been received. From the feedback it was clear that there are gaps in service delivery and some roles are too big for one person. The following action items were proposed by Nancy:
- Determine what assistance is needed for each Board position.
- Develop a list of members with skills, knowledge and potential to help get the work done.
- Determine the best person to approach member(s) for their help.
4.3 Treasurer – June had distributed a written report to the Directors in advance of the meeting including income and expense actuals for the 2017/18 year. She also noted that increasing revenues is a high priority as is contribution to the club’s contingency fund in order to cover the cost of the next court resurfacing project in 2023 estimated at $45,000. This figure is $12,000 more than the cost of the 2018 project.
June will prepare a 2018/19 budget forecast and a brief variance report against actuals for September 2018.
4.4 Past-President – Jeff advised he will pull together the 2017/18 year-end financials for the AGM.
4.5 Play Director – Angie had distributed a written report to the Board in advance of the meeting. She noted that the portfolio is too big for one person and has at least one member in mind to approach regarding assisting her. She advised that organizing social teas, creating and running a tennis ladder, application for a new Div.4 team are some examples of where assistance is needed. She also discussed the Junior Kids Camp being planned for Summer 2019 and the progress on this initiative.
4.6 Social Director – Nancy French had distributed a written report to the Board in advance of the meeting on recent social activities and associated costs/profit. She responded to questions on the report.
4.7 Maintenance Director – George provided the following report:
- Fire inspection had taken place today and everything was in order.
- A club member has stepped forward and will take care of the weed whacking work needed around the perimeter of the courts.
- Hydro will be off in the area next week and he is coordinating what is needed.
- A contract for a recycling program for paper, glass, plastic and containers has been signed with North Shore Recycling for weekly pick-up every Monday at a cost of $114.58 per year.
- Lock has been installed on the bar fridge.
4.8 Membership Director – Elaine advised membership nos. had not changed since the last meeting and are 127 adults; 3 children; 1 junior and 12 social members.
4.9 Secretary – Gary advised he had sent the following suggestions to Marion regarding the website as she is making enquiries regarding improvements:
- Make all User ID’s the same, i.e., they are now a mixture of first name<hyphen<last name and e-mail address.
- Create a virtual bulletin board
- Improve calendar administration so that it is much easier to populate.
- Other Business
Marion Shaw, Communications Committee Chair, had distributed a comprehensive written report to the Board prior to the meeting which was received with thanks.
- Next Meeting (3rd Tuesday of every month)
Monday, October 15, 2018. Planning meeting for 2019 season.
- Meeting Termination
The meeting was terminated at 9:02 p.m.